Respawn: Operation Supply Drop and the Therapeutic Power of Gaming
I’m incredibly excited to be writing you not only as the new Chief Medical Officer for Operation Supply Drop but also as an Occupational Therapist. My mind is overwhelmed with the potential for this position and the possibilities I can realize with helping Active Duty Service Members as well as Veterans. As this is my first post, I would like to share some of my goals with you.
- I will be pushing out a blog that will cover all things gaming, Therapeutic Implications for technology, and building strong communities.
- I am going to create an extensive database of games that will show all the therapeutic benefits that each game can bring to the table. Rehab practice areas considered for the database will include:
- Physical Disabilities
- Brain Injury and cognitive dysfunction
- Mental Health issues including PTSD, Social Anxiety, Depression, etc.
- Health and Wellness
- Productive Aging
- Develop lasting relationships with Therapists and Leadership at Medical Treatment Facilities, Warrior Transition Units, and complementary Veteran Service Organization and provide them with relevant video game programs that they can use effectively in their respective organizations.
- Collaborate with other instrumental people in the fields of Gaming, OT, Medicine, and Emerging Technology to further the opportunities that we can provide for Service Members.
- Speak at Local, National, and International events on the therapeutic benefits of gaming, everything Operation Supply Drop, Army Occupational Therapy, and unleashing the potential of our profession in a world that needs us.
I will break down these individual goals over the next few weeks so that you can better understand how each of them will fit in to the total mission for Operation Supply Drop. In addition to these goals, I have a few other things stewing that I’m excited to share as these programs develop.
If you’re interested in having me speak to your organization, have any questions or have any specific areas that you would like me to explore, please feel free to email me at erik@OperationSupplyDrop.org.
In the mean time, don’t forget to follow our adventures on Social Media:
Erik S. Johnson, OTR/L, CMO, Operation Supply Drop